Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dollhouses? Yes, Dollhouses.


I don’t get to the MFA nearly as often as I'd like. But recently, I did make time to take my son with some friends, and we all fell in love with the Rachel Whiteread exhibit.

Her illuminated English dollhouses come to life, truly. As viewers, or voyeurs, we become part of the exhibit, part of the Village. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.

To enter you pull apart heavy, dark, velvety drapes, making the reveal, the surprise of it that much more fantastical, magical.

This peaceful little city makes it easy to check any real-world weight at the door. You’re left with space to wonder what stories these houses have surely lived thanks to the little hands and big imaginations that fed them so.

Even the temptation to touch but knowing you mustn’t is fun.

No comments: